A Little Local History
CHISAGO CITY, a city in Chisago, Lake, and Wyoming Townships, was
platted in 1855, taking its name from the lake. It was incorporated as
a village on August 10, 1906. It had a station of the St. Paul and
Duluth Railroad in section 6 of Chisago Township, a steam stave
factory, and a post office established in 1856.
Chisago County get
( from Minnesota Historical Society)"The movement for the
organization of a new county from the northern part of Washington
commenced in the winter of 1851-52. A formidable petition to the
legislature to make such organization, drawn up and circulated by Hon.
Ansel Smith, of Franconia, and the writer, was duly forwarded,
presented and acquiesced in by that body. The writer had been selected
to visit the capital in the interest of the petitioners. Some
difficulty arose as to the name. The writer had proposed 'Chi-sa-ga.'
This Indian name was ridiculed, and Hamilton, Jackson, Franklin, and
Jefferson, were in turn proposed. The committee of the whole
finally reported in favor of the name, Chisaga, but the legislature,
in passing the bill for our county organization, by clerical or
typographical error changed the last 'a' in 'saga' to 'o,' which,
having become the law, has not been changed." Chisaga means large and
Lindstrom: LINDSTROM, a city in Chisago Lake Township,
section 33, platted in 1880 on the central part of Chisago Lake,
including many summer homes of city residents, was named for Daniel
Lindstrom, a pioneer farmer. He was born in Helsingland, Sweden, in
1825; came to the United States, settling here; sold the greater part
of his farm in 1878, which became the village site; and continued to
reside here until his death in 1895. The city was incorporated as a
village on August 28, 1894, and reincorporated on April 9, 1908; it
has had a city charter since 1950. Its post office was established in
1880. The village had a station of the St. Paul and Duluth Railroad,
three newspapers, including a Swedish weekly, two hotels, and a flour
mill and grain elevator.
photo is of the
earliest village marshals for Chisago City and Lindstrom.